As the adoption of ICD-10 proceeds at a rapid pace, your skills and abilities are essential to an organization like UnitedHealth Group. With the breadth and depth of services we’re dealing with a large assortment of procedures and diagnoses for patients within an equally diverse assortment of care settings. Our Coders are critical contributors to a complex team of professionals all working to ensure accuracy, compliance and proper documentation. You’ll work with internal and external clients including physicians and other clinicians on a daily basis to perform surgical chart abstraction and other coding procedures. Whether you work in one of our office settings or at your home, the pace is quick and the bar for performance is very high. You’ll have the support of co-workers who are smart, energetic, collaborative and fully supportive. Couple that with the expansive resources and tools you would expect in a global organization and your potential for success is unlimited. Take this opportunity to do your life’s best work.SM
What you Need To Know
- The work involves both primary reviews and more complex reviews that require research and reference checking. We’ll be counting on you for accuracy and effective interface with surgical team members who originate the codes.
- You’ll be expected to maintain a thorough understanding of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, disease processes and surgical techniques through participation in continuing education programs.
- The role involves providing educational training to physicians and other providers on coding and clinical documentation.
- You’ll also communicate with nursing and ancillary services personnel for needed documentation.
What We Are Looking For
- We know that experience can come from a variety of avenues, but while level of schooling completed is flexible, we do require coding credentials from either AHIMA/AAPC (RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-H, CPC-P).
- With the changing face of the health care system, knowledge of ICD-10 and the ability to stay up-to-date on code changes or updates is integral to your success.
Explore Medical Coding Careers:
Whether you’re a certified medical coder or just on your way to becoming one, you'll want to know more about the systems, tools, training and support that you can access within our thriving Fortune 6 environment.
Interview with Medical Coding leaders
Meet our leaders Ashok, Associate Director, Medical Coding & Meera, Service Delivery Lead talking about opportunities available at UnitedHealth Group in the field of Medical Coding. Read this blog to get interesting insights on what’s it like being a medical coder at UnitedHealth Group.