Author: Sriram Lakshmanan , Director - Information Security & EUTS | OGS – Optum Technology
UnitedHealth Group’s mission is to help people live healthier lives and to help make the health system work better for everyone. A simple but very powerful statement of intent and what drives this enterprise. Imagine the ability to influence how health care services are delivered to a patient in their time of need. Imagine walking into any hospital in the world and not having to carry your previous report or case history. Imagine the power to deliver doctor’s care to a patient several thousand miles away from a clinic or hospital thru telemedicine or the ability to influence lifestyle changes that makes the world healthier. Guess what, the power UnitedHealth Group has as an enterprise is unparalleled. A lot of these I mentioned above are already a reality and we are continuously making it better.
Optum is a leading health services and innovation company on a mission to help make the health system work better for everyone. It is simple and yet far reaching.
As a technology professional at UnitedHealth Group you could be working on databases or working in some of these key roles: java coder, reporting analyst, IT architect, security professional or a functional tester. How could you possibly help people live healthier lives? Some of these answers could be life changing:
- As a database specialist you have the power to normalize the data. When you make the queries efficient, you help doctors diagnose a patient’s condition faster.
- As a Java coder you could be working on applications that make health care processes more efficient, error free, secure and faster.
- As a reporting analyst you could be analyzing the prevailing conditions in a county, district or a state and help experts derive preventive care.
- As an architect you could be working on the different ways to deliver health care systems.
- As a security specialist you could be protecting the data, infrastructure and the applications we run the health care systems.
- As a functional or performance tester you could be heavily engaged in ensuring the correctness and the speed at which we need to make the health care systems work for our customers.
The opportunities here are endless, you just need to think differently and think big. Everything you do at Optum and UnitedHealth Group will make the health care system work better for everyone. A time will come when you’ll see these efficient healthcare systems in a country you live in. Join us for that journey and help people live healthier lives.