What does it take to be a candidate who stands out from the crowd? Find out from two of our recruiters, Nancy P. and Sandy L. They see hundreds of applications on a daily basis and are here to help you through the process!
1. What will set me apart from other applicants?
- Having a succinct resume is your introduction - this is your first impression. Include key words to match the job description; this includes the software and products you have used
- A chronological resume - this is helpful for Hiring Managers to assess your experience and the career growth you’ve accomplished
- Proof of career stability and continuous progression helps you stand out
- Check out our Getting Hired Prep Tools for more tips
2. Should I update my resume for each job I apply for?
3. What skills do Hiring Managers like to see in candidates at UnitedHealth Group?
At UnitedHealth Group, the most important thing to focus on is applying only to roles in which you meet all of the required qualifications and most of the preferred qualifications. We can’t stress this enough! Ensure that your resume speaks to your qualifications and accomplishments.
We would suggest adjusting your resume based on the specific job, if possible. Keep your resume easy to read – in this case, less is more.
- Top performance in your previous role
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse group of colleagues
- Strong communication skills with an ability to present information to all levels
4. How do I know if I’m a good fit for the culture?
- First and foremost, get to know our mission and values
- It is very important to act with integrity, always
- Strong candidates will be comfortable with a fast-paced, always changing environment
- As a general rule of thumb, if you are someone who works well in a flexible work environment and are always pushing to innovate and collaborate, you will find like-minded colleagues here
5. Any tricks to share about what to do before an interview?
Above all, a prepared candidate is one who will stand out the most.
6. Any tips on how to continue the momentum once an offer is complete and I’m an employee?
- Research the organization, come prepared with thought-out questions. Check out our company fast facts and be aware of some of our most recent awards and recognitions
- Come prepared to discuss company culture, mission and values (this one is huge!)
- Come prepared to discuss your experience, accomplishments and share specific examples (find that balance between being prepared, but also speak from the heart – show your authenticity)
7. How can I find out more about career opportunities at UnitedHealth Group?
- Identify a mentor and stay in touch – Network, network, network!
- Work hard - people trust colleagues who put in the extra effort and are always looking to improve