Return to news Releases
UnitedHealth Group Named to Dow Jones Sustainability North America and World Indices for 14th Consecutive Year
MINNETONKA, Minn. (Sept. 14, 2012) – UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) announced that it has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index (DJSI NA) and the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI W).
UnitedHealth Group attained the highest total Index score in the Healthcare Provider Sector, and was a leader among peer companies worldwide in service to patients, partnerships toward sustainable health care, and corporate citizenship and philanthropy. The company also attained top scores in human capital development and employee talent attraction and retention.
This marks the 14th consecutive year that UnitedHealth Group has been included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices.
The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices recognize and benchmark companies that set industrywide best practices in corporate sustainability, including:
- integrating long-term economic, environmental and social aspects in their business strategies while maintaining global competitiveness and brand reputation;
- meeting shareholders’ demands for sound financial returns, long-term economic growth, open communication and transparent financial accounting;
- fostering loyalty by investing in customer relationship management and product and service innovation that focuses on technologies and systems, which use financial, natural and social resources in an efficient, effective and economic manner over the long-term;
- setting the highest standards of corporate governance and stakeholder engagement, including corporate codes of conduct and public reporting;
- managing human resources to maintain workforce capabilities and employee satisfaction through best-in- class organizational learning and knowledge management practices, and remuneration and benefit programs.
UnitedHealth Group cultivates these attributes to attain its mission to help people live healthier lives and as the foundation for the company’s efforts to help make the health care system work better for everyone.
The Sustainability Indices are reviewed annually by Dow Jones and the Zurich-based Sustainable Asset Management Group (SAM), a global investment firm. Companies on the Dow Jones Global Index are evaluated on a range of general business criteria and on industry-specific sustainability trends. The DJSI NA captures the leading 20 percent of the 600 largest North American companies, while the DJSI W includes the top 10 percent from the 2,500 largest companies worldwide. Corporate social responsibility has become a significant factor in investment decisions globally, and SAM’s sustainability data are fully integrated into its investment offerings.
“UnitedHealth Group is honored to be recognized for our unwavering commitment to improving the health and well-being of the millions of people we serve worldwide,” said Jeannine M. Rivet, executive vice president of UnitedHealth Group. “Our 99,000 employees are dedicated to fostering a culture of innovation to help us better serve our customers and the physicians and other care providers we work with every day to help make the health system work better for everyone. We value extensive volunteer and philanthropic efforts and bring compassion and a commitment to excellence in everything we do, all focused on our mission of helping people live healthier lives.”
To learn more about UnitedHealth Group’s sustainability initiatives, visit the company’s 2011 Business Social Responsibility Report, found here. For more information on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes, visit: http://www.sustainability-indexes.com.
About UnitedHealth Group
Return to news Releases
UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) is a diversified health and well-being company dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and making health care work better. With headquarters in Minnetonka, Minn., UnitedHealth Group offers a broad spectrum of products and services through two distinct platforms: UnitedHealthcare, which provides health care coverage and benefits services; and Optum, which provides information and technology-enabled health services. Through its businesses, UnitedHealth Group serves more than 75 million people worldwide. Visit www.unitedhealthgroup.com for more information.