Return to news Releases
Fifth Annual National Medicare Education Week Empowers Older Americans With Tools and Information to Make Medicare Decisions with Confidence
- Community events and online resources available to help people before Medicare's annual Open Enrollment Period, Oct. 15-Dec. 7
- Campaign supporters include UnitedHealthcare, Walgreens, Caregiver Action Network, National Association of Area Agencies on Aging, SilverSneakers, AARP and others
MINNETONKA, Minn. (Sep. 08, 2016) — UnitedHealthcare invites Medicare beneficiaries and caregivers to attend community education events across the country and explore online learning tools during this year's National Medicare Education Week (Sept. 15-21).
In its fifth year, National Medicare Education Week begins one month before the start of Medicare's annual Open Enrollment Period (Oct. 15-Dec. 7) and offers educational events and resources to baby boomers, Medicare beneficiaries, their families and caregivers.
With more than 56 million Americans enrolled in Medicare, the number of people in need of clear information about Medicare is growing. National Medicare Education Week was established to help meet this demand and help people make informed, confident decisions about their Medicare coverage.
Education Opportunities in Local Communities
National Medicare Education Week's popular event series returns this year, with UnitedHealthcare hosting events in more than 20 cities around the country. At the events:
- Local UnitedHealthcare representatives will present information and answer frequently asked Medicare questions. Ninety-six percent of last year's event attendees said their understanding of Medicare improved as a result of participating in National Medicare Education Week events
- Walgreens will be onsite and make available pneumonia and/or flu vaccinations at select National Medicare Education Week community events across the country.*
- To see the list of 2016 events and reserve a spot, visit NMEW.com.
People can also participate in National Medicare Education Week through a wide range of easy-to-use digital resources including:
- Online Medicare education information on the newly redesigned MedicareMadeClear.com, now available in Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Polish in order to help more people learn in their preferred language.
- A Facebook Q&A (www.facebook.com/medicaremadeclear/events) session hosted by UnitedHealthcare on Thursday, Sept. 15, from 2 to 4 p.m. CT, where people eligible for Medicare and their loved ones can get answers to their Medicare questions from experts in real-time.
"Health care coverage options can be overwhelming, but selecting a Medicare plan can be simple," said Steve Nelson, CEO of UnitedHealthcare's Medicare & Retirement business. "Our goal during National Medicare Education Week is to make information easily available so people can learn about their Medicare choices and confidently choose coverage that meets their health and budget needs."
Return to news Releases
National Medicare Education Week supporters include: Walgreens, Caregiver Action Network, National Association of Area Agencies on Aging, SilverSneakers and AARP, as well as local health care providers, senior centers and other organizations nationwide.
For more information about National Medicare Education Week, visit NMEW.com.
UnitedHealthcare is dedicated to helping people nationwide live healthier lives by simplifying the health care experience, meeting consumer health and wellness needs, and sustaining trusted relationships with care providers. The company offers the full spectrum of health benefit programs for individuals, employers, military service members, retirees and their families, and Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, and contracts directly with more than 1 million physicians and care professionals, and 6,000 hospitals and other care facilities nationwide. UnitedHealthcare is one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified Fortune 50 health and well-being company. For more information, visit UnitedHealthcare at uhc.com or follow @myUHC on Twitter.
Plans are insured through UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company or one of its affiliated companies. For Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plans: A Medicare Advantage organization with a Medicare contract and a Medicare-approved Part D sponsor. Enrollment in these plans depends on the plan's contract renewal with Medicare.
* Charges may apply. Walgreens will ask for your insurance card, or accept cash or check. Vaccines are subject to availability. State, age- and health-related restrictions may apply.